Friday, September 28, 2012

9-28-2012

Oh happy day! It's fah-rye-day!

So, My experiments in computing went well last night. I was able to connect to my linux box from my mac, SSH, a whole new world has opened up to me.
I was not able to get the Xauth to work though, so I was stuck in non-gui land, but that's okay. It's something I am trying to familiarize myself with
more anyway. I liked that I SSH'd to a public Unix server while I was already in a SSH from my mac to my linux box. Neat!

The next step I think is to figure out how to connect to my home computer while on my work's network. I read that I will have to get my external IP on my connection.
(no idea how to get that). The IP on the local network will change randomly because it is DHCP, not I realize this and the alias I cleverly created won't work
forever. I guess I should be able to update that specific IP to a static one to make connecting on SSH simpler, I can just type the name of the computer and
it will connect. I think I can also specify a password to enter as well so that I don't have to type it in every time.

I also want to see if there are any kind of network tools I can use to see computers attempting to connect to my network. There has to be something like that out there.

Ok, so I am done writing today's episode. Now to see if I can remmeber how to upload this to blogger from the command line.

No comments: