Sunday, September 30, 2012

9-30-2012

Not too much to report today, I did have a little bit of time to adventure in linux. I was having some problems reading the mail in the system mail.
System mail is accessed by simply typing 'mail' and the shell prompt. It's very archaic, and only really works on a local network, but I still think
it's a neat feature that is backbone in linux/unix. I probably won't ever get the opportunity to use this nerdliness in real life, but I think
it is neat that it exists. ANYWAY - the problem I was having is that my user ID was not allowed to view my own mail file in /var/mail. It kept
saying 'permission denied' , using SUDO mail doesn't work either, as that accesses mail for ROOT. I needed to change the permissions on the file
/var/mail/userid , so I just navigated to that file and did: sudo chmod 777 userid , this gave global read/write access on that file. There's nothing
important in that file at this point, so I really don't nead to worry about access to it. Now, I can absolutely read messages sent to my user id in unix.
There aren't really any messages though, as I don't have anyone writing to me on my local network.


No comments: