Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Japan- Day 4

Today is day 4 in Japan. We explored a lot of Kyoto and were significantly dumped on with rain. We checked out the shopping district in Kyoto  which had a lot of cool things, but much of it was a bit too expensive for my tastes. We had some okonomiyaki for lunch a restaurant with some funky decor, I hadn't really seen many places with personality like that until today. Everything has been kind of bland, nice.. but muted. This places was colorful and felt very proletariat. I'm hoping to experience more of that Japan, which I am sure we will if we get more hang time with Shuhei and Shohei.

My Japanese is coming along horribly. Luckily it's pretty easy to get by without it . Today we are going to check out the temple next door to our ryokan, and then come back for coffee then check out the art exhibit being held in another part of the ryokan. Ryokan Yoshida-senso is pretty cool. Built in 1931, it is the former residence of the sitting emperor's uncle. The whole place is decked out it tatami mats (which are really nice to walk on.)  Their breakfasts are great.  Katie and I have had the Japanese traditional breakfast and also their take on a continental breakfast. Both were excellent.

I'm stiill digging typing on the tablet with the bluetooth keyboard. It seems to keep up pretty well. I think the one that connects with the pogo pins would be better. Maybe I can look into getting that on my next "spare" paycheck .

No comments: